...So there is a restaurant on main street in Sayville, NY where I grew up, that has the most amazing penne alla vodka. Growing up, every time my brother and I got our report card, no matter what the grades, we went to this restaurant to celebrate with our parents. This was always my dish of choice. Since becoming a vegan sixteen years ago, I have not eaten that dish. Although my version doesn't taste the same, it tastes pretty darn good and is WAY healthier. This was my first time trying a cashew cream sauce and it's delicious.
- 1/2 box of pasta of choice cooked
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1/2 cup vegan cream
- 1/2 cup cashews soaked in water
- 1 cup vodka
- Soak cashews overnight so they are nice and soft to cream
- Over medium heat, saute onions until translucent. Add garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes
- Add the tomato paste, red pepper and oregano and cook for an additional minute until the color deepens.
- Add the crushed tomatoes.
- Add the vodka and cook until it is reduced to about half (about 15 minutes)
- Blend the cashews and water in a food processor until a creamy consistency. Set aside.
- Add the cream and stir.
- When you drain your pasta, save half the water.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and the water that you saved, as needed.
- Garnish with greens if desired. I used parsley.