I keep reading about new vegan donut shops that are opening up, especially in Brooklyn. I actually can not remember ever having a vegan donut...until now! This was my first go at a vegan donut so I started small...with a donut hole! I was pleasantly surprised that it came out pretty perfectly. I was not sure that it would actually taste like a donut, but it does! The pumpkin flavor of the donut paired with the cinnamon and sugar coating... so great on an autumn morning. I even left some donuts plain and they are great as well! Now...I need to get a donut baking pan and make some regular sized donuts!
To get these bite size donut holes I use a mini cupcake tin. Another idea is to use a cake pop pan to make perfectly round holes.
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter -Earth Balance is my prefered brand
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 5 tbs melted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tbs ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line mini cupcake tin with liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, and salt.
- In another bowl mix together the wet ingredients: pumpkin puree, canola oil, milk, butter, vanilla extract, and sugar. Mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix.
- Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 of the way. Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- When cooled, dunk each donut hole into the melted butter and then coat with cinnamon and sugar mixture.