I love a good hearty soup and was looking for a lentil soup when I found one on www.ohsheglows.com. Christopher and I have already made this soup three times since finding the recipe about two months ago. We made a couple changes...mainly drenching the soup in lime juice, because I LOVE the tang of LIME juice (which is why I added Lime to the recipe name) mixed with coconut milk . We also doubled the garlic bc we are both obsessed with garlic!! Slurp, Slurp!! YUM! This soup is SOOOOO delicious! (Oh, also...it is super easy to make. We double the recipe and eat it throughout the week.)
- 1 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 2 cups diced yellow onions
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 can diced tomatoes, keep the juice
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup uncooked red lentils
- 3 1/2 cups veggie broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 1- 5 ounce package of baby spinach
- juice of 2 limes
- Put the onions, garlic, and olive oil in a large pot. Saute on medium heat until the onions are translucent.
- Mix in the turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, and cardamom. Cook for a minute.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, coconut milk, lentils, broth, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
- When it boils, reduce heat to medium heat and simmer, uncovered, until the lentils are soft and fluffy.
- Turn off eat and add the spinach until it is wilted. Add the lime juice.
- Smother some fresh bread with butter (vegan of course), pour yourself a bowl of soup, and enjoy!
* I even add more lime juice to my individual bowls of soup- 1/2 a lime (incase you love lime juice as much as I do)!